A love song can be the best way to tell that special someone how you feel, but without a little help it can be nearly impossible to write a love song for your boyfriend. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you take that song that’s in your head and turn it into something that the rest of the world can hear too!
- Learn his musical preferences. There’s no point in writing that special someone a country ballad when he prefers rock and heavy metal. This isn’t to say that you need to alter your own musical preferences, but your song will have more of an impact if you write something that is closer to his own preferences.
- Figure out what you want to write about. This is the key when you’re learning how to write a love song for your boyfriend. This should include information like things you love about him, things that you do together that make you happy, or his interests and loves. Making it personal will help to increase the chances of positive reception. You can get some inspirations from cute quotes to say to your boyfriend.
- Melody, then lyrics. To quote a well loved Disney character; “Melody comes first, my dear, and then the lyrics.” It is a lot harder to write a melody for existing lyrics than it is to write lyrics that perfectly fit a newly crafted melody. If you’re having trouble with your melody, see step 4.
- Seek help, if you are not musically inclined. No one, not even the love of your life, is going to want to hear you pounding away on a keyboard if you can’t tell a C from an F-flat. Writing your song is one thing, putting it to music is something else entirely. Ask some of your musically inclined friends or family members for help in putting it all together.
- The Thesaurus is your friend. Don’t try to pour your heart into words that you would find in a grade-school English book. Pick up a thesaurus and expand your descriptive vocabulary. While you’re buying books, pick up a rhyming dictionary to help you craft your lyrics. And remember, nothing rhymes with orange, so if that is his favorite color, leave it out.
- Don’t get too intense. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been in your relationship, you don’t want to write anything that is too intense or too graphic. Listen to some songs like Porn Star Dancing by My Darkest Days for some ideas of what NOT to write.
- Write from the heart. In the end, it doesn’t really matter what you write, how good your singing voice is, or whether you can have it professionally recorded. What matters are the emotion and the heart you put behind everything you do.
Read More: Songs to dedicate to your boyfriend
Writing a love song for that special someone can be the most personal and meaningful gift you can ever give them. Hopefully these steps can help to teach you how to write a love song for your boyfriend.